Before you can learn how to eat healthy you must understand why it’s so important to eat healthy. According to the USDA, the food we eat can affect many aspects of our health include our risk of cancer, chronic diseases, and other health issues. It can also make our quality of life significantly better.
How to Eat Healthy: Finding the Right Recipes
Some people know how to eat healthy because they’ve been doing so since they were kids but many of us grew up on processed foods or meals that relied heavily on high-fat proteins and / or carbohydrates. Learning how to eat healthy begins with an understanding of what healthy eating really means.
Simple Tips to Teach You How to Eat Healthy
While this isn’t an exhaustive list, these tips are a great start to teach you how to eat healthy:
- Fill half your plate with fruits and veggies.
- The more colorful your selection of fruits and veggies is, the more vitamins, fiber, and minerals you’ll get.
- Half the grains you eat should be whole grains.
- Switch to skim milk or 1% milk.
- Choose lean proteins like meat, seafood, dry beans, peas, nuts, seeds, poultry, and eggs.
- Choose lower sodium versions of foods when available.
- Skip sugary drinks and double up on water.
- Eat seafood at least eight ounce of seafood a week.
- Cut back on solid fats found in cookies, cakes, and other desserts.
Healthy Meal Recipes
Now that you have an idea of what eating healthy actually means, let’s cover some easy healthy food recipes that will make it easy to get on track and stay there. Note that these are all great options if you’re looking for healthy food recipes to lose weight. It’s all about cutting calories and increasing exercise.
Easy Healthy Food Recipes for Breakfast
Low-Fat Raspberry-Corn Muffins
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ cups cornmeal
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- ¾ t salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup apricot nectar
- 3 T grapeseed oil
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups raspberries (frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Line 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl – except for ¾ cup of the sugar.
- Whisk buttermilk, oil, vanilla, buttermilk, and apricot nectar in another bowl.
- Beat egg whites with remaining sugar in a large bowl with a mixer until you get stiff peaks.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until they’re mixed.
- Gently fold in the egg mixture.
- Fold in the raspberries.
- Divide the batter amongst your muffin tins.
- Bake 30 – 35 minutes.
Hash Brown Casserole with Bacon, Onions, and Cheese
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 32-ounce package frozen hash browns
- 1 cup fat-free cheese, shredded
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- 1 can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Crumble it.
- Cook onion and garlic for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add potatoes. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Mix bacon, ¼ cup cheese, sour cream, green onions, salt, pepper, and soup concentrate. Add potatoes. Toss to combine.
- Spoon mixture in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove casserole and let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Bake casserole at 350 degrees for half an hour.
- Uncover and bake another half hour.
Easy Healthy Food Recipes for Lunch
Italian Vegetable Hoagies
- ¼ cup red onions, sliced thin
- 14-ounce can rinsed and chopped artichoke hearts
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 t oregano
- 16 inch whole-grain baguette
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups lettuce
- ¼ cup sliced pepperoncini
- Put onions in a small bowl and cover with cold water.
- Mix artichokes, tomatoes, vinegar, oil, and oregano.
- Cut baguette into four lengths. Split each horizontally remove ½ the soft bread from inside.
- Drain the onions and pat them dry.
- Divide provolone among the bottom pieces of bread.
- Spread the top of the bread with artichoke and top with lettuce, onion, and pepperoncini.
- Cover with bread tops.
- 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla
- 2 T pizza sauce
- 12 leaves spinach
- 3 T part-skim mozzarella
- Spread pizza sauce over tortilla.
- Top with spinach and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Microwave 45 seconds.
- Roll up tortilla.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice into pieces.
Easy Healthy Food Recipes for Dinner
Oven-Baked Salmon with Toasted Almond Parsley Salad
- 12-ounce salmon fillet
- 1 shallot
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 2 T capers, rinsed
- 1 cup parsley
- ½ cup toasted almonds
- Olive oil
- Season salmon with salt and paper.
- Place salmon skin-side down on a baking sheet and bake 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Mince shallot and pour vinegar over top of them.
- Add salt.
- Let sit for thirty minutes.
- Chop capers, almonds, and parsley. Add to the shallots. Add olive oil.
- Serve parsley salad on top of salmon.
Juicy Grilled Chicken
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 T coarse-ground mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ t salt
- 6 T olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Mix cider vinegar, garlic, lime and lemon juices, mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk in the olive oil.
- Put chicken in the mixture.
- Cover and marinate overnight.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Cook chicken for 6 – 8 minutes per side.
- Discard marinade.
These are just a few healthy recipes to get your imagination going. Remember that eating healthy doesn’t have to mean giving up flavor or innovation!